Your lawn is also the first impression of your house. A well-tended lawn is a signal that you care about your home's appearance and longevity. Also, it's always a great feeling when people stop to admire your lawn.
So, if you're looking to keep your lawn looking tidy all year long, there are a few things you need to do on a regular basis. In this article, we will discuss the hows, whats, and whys of proper lawn care.
3 essential tips for mowing your lawn the right way
By following these tips, tricks, and tactics, you'll be a lawn master in no time:
- Mow your lawn regularly. Once a week is a minimum recommendation. This way, you won't have to struggle through the uncut grass as you mow. You'll also find unwanted weeds as soon as they pop up. Regular mowing will promote healthy grass, giving it that thick, vibrant, and luxurious look you're going for.
- Don't "scalp" your lawn. The recommended height for lawn mowing is 5-8 cm (2-3inches). By mowing your lawn too short, It will start to look patchy and it dries up faster. That's the last thing you want.
- Make sure to mow your lawn when the grass is dry. Never mow your lawn when it's wet with rain. You see, rain weighs the grass down, bending the grass when the blade meets it. What you want is a straight cut. This will prevent unwanted growth, get rid of seeds, and make your grass look more even.
Are you a certified mowing master already? Here are 3 tips that don't involve mowing:
- Besides mowing, an essential part of lawn care is watering. Make sure to water generously about 2-3 times per week during warm periods to encourage deep root growth.
- Let it breathe. Aerate your lawn at least once a year to allow for better air circulation and water penetration. Is your grass thin or brown? Those are signs that you need to aerate it, in order to avoid a "compressed and compacted" look to your grass.
- Fertilize your lawn during late spring, just as the green grass begins to grow.
To summarize, taking care of your lawn is not as hard as it may seem. By following these simple tips, you can achieve that "green and glowing" look in no time. Just be sure to water and fertilize regularly, aerate your lawn, mow high, and stay on top of any weeds that may pop up.
Remember, regularity and timing are crucial factors.If you ever have any questions or need help, consult with a professional landscaper.Thanks for reading!
P.S. Oh, just one more thing! You're here because you care about your home. So, I'm inviting you to give our FREE homeowner's app a chance. It's called Homer, and you can download and read more about it by clicking here.
Source: Better Homes & Gardens (online article), “6 Lawn Care Mistakes to Stop Making SoYou Can Have Healthier Grass” (July 7th, 2020).