As a homeowner, it's important to be aware of the expected lifetimes of common major appliances in the home. This can help you budget for replacements and make informed decisions about when to fix or replace appliances. Here are the expected lifetimes of some common major appliances:
- Refrigerator: 10-15 years
- Range/Oven: 15-20 years
- Dishwasher: 9-12 years
- Washing machine: 10-15 years
- Dryer: 13-15 years
When it comes to deciding whether to fix or replace an appliance, there are a few things to consider:
- Age: If an appliance is near the end of its expected lifetime, it may make more sense to replace it rather than spend money on repairs.
- Cost of repairs: If the cost of repairs is significant, it may be more cost-effective to replace the appliance rather than repair it.
- Frequency of repairs: If an appliance has required multiple repairs in a short period of time, it may be more cost-effective to replace it rather than continue to pay for repairs.
- Energy efficiency: If an appliance is old and not energy-efficient, it may make sense to replace it with a newer, more efficient model.
Obviously, if you still have warranty left on your appliance, use your consumer rights and get it repaired or exchanged at no cost. (Rmember you need a prof of purchase to show the product still has a valid warranty!)
Ultimately, the decision to fix or replace an appliance will depend on your specific circumstances and budget. And once you've made a decision, it's important to keep track of all the details and updates for your home. That's where Homer comes in! Homer is a home management app that helps homeowners save and manage all types of information about their homes, including receipts, important documents, home timelines, and more. With Homer, you'll have everything you need to manage and maintain your home, no matter what changes you make. Don't let the lack of information hold you back – use Homer to stay on top of things and make the most of your home.