Before we start, it is worth noting that some mistakes must be made to be able to learn from them. No shame if you recognize some of these painful, but common mistakes. Read on and see if there are some still left to avoid!
- Skipping a home inspection: A home inspection can uncover hidden problems that can be costly to fix later on. Don't skip this important step before buying a home.
- Underestimating the cost of repairs: Whether you're fixing up a new home or maintaining an existing one, it's easy to underestimate the cost of repairs. Make sure to budget for unexpected expenses.
- Neglecting to change the air filters: Changing the air filters in your home is a simple, cheap task that can have a big impact on your home's air quality and energy efficiency.
- Failing to winterize your home: Neglecting to winterize your home can lead to costly repairs when the cold weather hits. Make sure to seal up any drafts and protect your pipes from freezing.
- Not having an emergency fund: Homeownership comes with unexpected expenses, and it's important to have an emergency fund in case of unexpected repairs or emergencies.
- Not shopping around for the best mortgage rate: Don't just take the first mortgage offer you receive. Shop around and compare rates to find the best deal.
- Not getting insurance coverage that fits your needs: Make sure to get the right insurance coverage for your home and possessions. Don't skimp on coverage to save money.
- Not properly maintaining your home: Neglecting regular maintenance can lead to bigger problems down the line. Make sure to keep up with things like cleaning the gutters and checking for leaks.
- Not saving for big ticket items: Things like a new roof or a new HVAC system can be expensive, so make sure to save for these big ticket items in advance.
- Not keeping good records: It's important to keep good records of all home repairs, improvements, and maintenance. That way, you'll have a clear picture of the history of your home and can plan for future expenses.
Keeping track of all this information can be a daunting task, but the Homer app makes it easy. Homer is a home management app that helps homeowners save and manage all types of information about their homes, including receipts, important documents, home timelines, and more. With Homer, you'll have everything you need to manage and maintain your home, all in one convenient app. Don't let the mistakes of the past hold you back – use Homer to stay on top of things and avoid costly mistakes in the future.